The City of Saint John is proud of its 225 years of rich heritage represented in our people and our architecture. Your Heritage Conservation Service identifies, protects and promotes that which is important to the culture and history of Saint John. The City works with the community to:
- Provide a process that designates Heritage Conservation Areas under the Heritage Conservation Areas By-Law.
- Regulate any changes or work done to the outside of properties in Heritage Conservation areas.
- Provide design advice on existing and proposed new construction.
- Provide incentives including grants and other financial assistance to encourage and assist in the rehabilitation and development of heritage buildings.
- Provide information to raise awareness of the social and economic benefits of heritage conservation to Saint John.