Under a 5-year contract with the City of Saint John, (began fall 2012) the SPCA-AR provides full dog control service and respond to calls including:
• dog running at large
• dog bites and attempted bites
• poop and scoop violations
• diseased / injured dogs
Under the by-law, cat licenses are not required and the City does not respond to reports of stray or missing cats, or provide for their care. However, the dog control officer may seize a stray cat if it is diseased and/or injured to such an extent that euthanasia is the only humane option.
The SPCAAR also administers the dog licensing program including:
• prepare and implement a plan to increase the dog licensing program;
• prepare and deliver a series of public awareness sessions;
• record and track all dog control information in a web-based database developed by the City; and,
• complete annual performance reviews.
Dog licenses are available at the SPCCAR headquarters on Bayside Drive, at local veterinary hospitals or on the 10th floor of City Hall.
To report any concerns about dogs, call the dog control line at 633-1228.