The City of Saint John has a fleet of approximately 350 vehicles and equipment, referred to as “Rolling Stock”, of various types and sizes as necessary to deliver the diverse services offered by City Departments. In addition to this rolling stock, the City also operates a fleet of small or hand held units and stationary equipment necessary to support its many operational needs.
Fleet Administration is the component of the support service that is responsible for the administration of the various fleet utilizations and replacement policies, the establishment of fleet usage charges, the recommendation for annual fleet replacement and the establishment of specifications for tendering for new vehicles and equipment.
Fleet Services encompasses the Rothesay Ave Maintenance Facility, the two satellite garages located one each on McAllister Drive and Boars Head Rd and the Welding and Body Shop operations necessary to maintain and repair the rolling stock and various other vehicles, tools and equipment operated by the City.
Fleet is a section of Materials and Fleet Management which also includes the Purchasing and Materials Management and Insurance and Risk Management sections.
Some of the responsibilities of Fleet Administration/Services include:
- Establishing and administering vehicle rental agreements
- Determining annual fleet replacement needs
- Working with user departments to establish specifications for bidding
- Billing user fees and non-vehicle repair charges to departments
- Administration of the corporate fuel card program
- Preventative Maintenance Programs
- Fleet Maintenance & Repair