Municipal Engineering provides engineering services and design/construction management for projects related to capital programs for the improvement of municipal infrastructure to ensure the integrity of the infrastructure through the application of sound engineering standards. The infrastructure includes the City’s transportation & storm water systems, water treatment, water transmission and distribution, wastewater treatment and wastewater collection systems.
Some responsibilities of the Municipal Engineering include:
- Carries out preliminary planning activities, detailed design and coordinates the construction of new infrastructure related to transportation, storm sewer, water treatment, water transmission and distribution, wastewater treatment and wastewater collection systems;
- Generates tender documents, proposal calls, specifications and cost estimates and administers construction contracts;
- Provides inspection services for capital construction and maintenance projects to ensure that work is completed in accordance with specifications and engineering standards;
- Evaluates requests for capital program projects and recommends solutions based on sound engineering principles;
- Prepares as-built drawings and other engineering records;
- Develops and recommends Engineering policies to senior management and City Council and administers such policies;
- Coordinates with the Province and/or Federal Government on municipally designated highways and water & wastewater infrastructure funding agreements;
- Participates in long and short term planning for the extension and upgrading of municipal infrastructure to accommodate growth, ensure public safety and the efficiency and reliability of the infrastructure;
- Liaison with other levels of government, utility companies and community groups on engineering issues.