The City of Saint John has established the Purchasing and Materials Management Section which is responsible for the acquisition of all goods and services for all City Departments except for Construction Contracts called by the Engineering Department.
Purchasing is the City’s link to the vendor community on all matters relative to the procurement of goods and services.
The Purchasing Agent, who is appointed by Common Council is charged with the responsibility of administering the City’s Procurement Policies and Procedures.
Some responsibilities of the Purchasing and Materials Management Section include:
- Assisting departments with the development of specifications;
- The promotion of competitive bidding for the City’s needs;
- The establishment and maintenance of a list of potential bidders;
- The calling of public tenders, requests for proposals and invited bids;
- The submission of written reports to Common Council on procurement matters; and
- The establishment and maintenance of an inventory of commonly used parts and materials.