As you know this time of year brings an increase in shopping and socializing for many people. To ensure you have a safe holiday season the Saint John Police Force is offering the following tips.
Shopping in Person
- Any items purchased should be securely locked
in your vehicles trunk and out of plain view.
- Keep watch of your personal belongings and
don’t leave your purse unattended.
- Don’t take your eyes off your debit or credit
card when someone else is handling it.
- Make sure store employees only swipes your card
- Plan ahead-make sure you have a designated
driver or other means of getting home after a social event.
- As a party host make sure your guest get home
safely by a designated driver, cab, or make arrangements for them to spend the
- If one of your friends or guest has had too
much to drink and wants to drive -demand they turn over their keys and find
another means for them to get home. If they refuse and attempt to drive you
must report them to the police for their own safety as well as others.
- Have a friend or neighbor check on your home
often. Invest on timers for your lights and cancel your paper until you return.
- Don’t mention your travel plans on Facebook or