Our Saint John was born of the water. Like the tides we live by, we are responsive to the constant changes in our environment, economy, and society.*
Rising from banks of the St. John River and Saint John Harbour, and built on top of some of the oldest geology in the world, Saint John, the first incorporated city in Canada (1785), is the largest city on the Bay of Fundy and the industrial backbone of New Brunswick.
For centuries, our harbour has been a haven for people from across the globe. For many of these people, this place, born of the water, became home. Today 69,000 residents still enjoy easy access to the Bay, the St. John River and the lakes around the city.
Our Saint John is a liveable city where everyone can feel at home.*
- A city of original neighbourhoods, families and individuals who live in Saint John can choose from a variety of housing.
- Through school districts 1 and 8, children and youth enjoy quality public education.
- UNB Saint John and New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) Saint John offer a variety of post secondary education programs.
- The City’s Uptown is a hub for arts, culture and heritage, and our recreational and cultural facilities are among the best in the Atlantic provinces.
- Saint John's East side shopping district is the largest single concentration of shopping anywhere in the Maritimes. The City’s West side is also undergoing retail expansion.
- Saint John is home to the province’s heart and trauma centre and the largest hospital in New Brunswick.
- Saint John has the largest and most used transit system in New Brunswick.
Find out more about living in Saint John.
Our Saint John, Canada’s first City leads the nation as an example of a sustainable community.*
Our Saint John, the community’s vision and 20-year goals, is based on the Melbourne principles of sustainability – social, cultural, economic, environment, infrastructure and governance. Over the past six years, many progressive policies and initiatives have been implemented to ensure that the citizens of Saint John realize their vision including:
There are many ways in which citizens can become involved in life in Saint John. Volunteer to become a member of an agency, board or commission, attend a City led event or meeting in your neighbourhood, or watch or attend Saint John Common Council meetings.
*From Our Saint John
, the community vision statement and 20-year goals.