Home > News > News Releases > Be aware of the dangers of CO

Be aware of the dangers of CO

25-Feb-2015

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is extremely difficult to detect without some sort of aid.

CO poisoning is the number one cause of unintentional poisoning deaths in Canada. If you have an attached garage, wood or gas fireplace, furnace, water heater or range / stove, you need a CO alarm.


CO Alarm Checklist: 

  • It has a national testing agency sticker
  • The manufacturer’s instructions were followed for installation and maintenance
  • One is installed outside or in each sleeping area and on every level of the home
  • It is clear of dust and debris
  • It is plugged all the way into a working outlet, or has working batteries

 

Stay safe and be aware of the dangers of CO

Heating Safety

  • Only use appliances indoors if they are approved for indoor use
  • Have fuel and wood-burning appliances inspected every year by a licensed technician
  • Make sure all vents and chimneys are connected, vent their fumes to the outside, are maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and are not blocked
  • Never idle your car in the garage, even if the garage door is open
  • Never use generators, camp stoves, or gas or charcoal grills indoors
  • Never use a gas oven to heat your home
  • Never use gasoline-powered engines in enclosed spaces
  • Ensure that all exterior vents are clear of snow

 

Portable Generator Safety

  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and maintenance
  • Use outdoors on a stable surface and away from windows and vents
  • Never fill with fuel while it is running or still hot
  • Always store fuel outside of living areas, away from fuel-burning appliances, and in approved metal containers

 

Signs of CO poisoning:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

If you suspect a CO leak or poisoning, it is important that you get everyone together and out of the house immediately and call 911.


Information provided by:
Gerald Green
Division Chief, Safety, Standards and EMO Management
Saint John Fire Department