On Saturday July 20, The City of Saint John and Canaport LNG are hosting a beach party and BBQ to celebrate the refurbishment of Mispec Beach.
From 11:30 am to 2:30 pm enjoy a BBQ (while quantities last), bouncy castle, face painting and balloon animals on the sandy shores of the beach.
In case of rain, the event will be held on Sunday, July 21.
About the refurbishment
In 2011, weather caused significant damage to the shoreline and staircases, at Mispec Beach.
In 2013 the City of Saint John undertook several large projects to ensure that the public could safely use the beach.
Work at the site included:
- Removing damaged infrastructure (cribbing, gabion baskets, granite block and fencing)
- Reshaping the slope of the shoreline and adding gabion baskets for erosion control and slope stabilization
- Installing topsoil and hydro-seed for site protection
- Relocating concrete landscaping boxes
- Constructing a gravel pathway to the beach
- Installing granite blocks for bench seating and barricades
The City has also entered into an agreement with Canaport LNG. The company has supplied the portable washrooms and will be responsible for the cleaning and maintenance and maintaining the landscaping at the beach.
The canteen and storage shed were unsafe and were demolished. Damaged asphalt in the parking lot was removed and replaced with crushed rock. New underground electrical and plumbing services were installed to the washrooms.
The City will also construct and install new archway at the entrance to the pathway to beach.
Work on the site will total approximately $270,000. Some of the work will be reimbursed by the New Brunswick Department of Public Safety under the Disaster Financial Assistance Program (DFAP).