P.R.O. Kids experienced its biggest year yet, placing 752 children in recreation opportunities in 2009. This is a significant increase over 2007, when 391 children were placed, and 2008, when 587 children were placed.
P.R.O. Kids provides equipment and registration fees for children to get involved in recreational activities in the Saint John. From football and hockey to theatre and art classes, the program tailors to the need of the individual children supported by the program.
As well as the record year for placements, P.R.O. Kids saw a number of other highlights in 2009:
- In February, the New Brunswick Children’s Foundation awarded a grant for $20,000;
- CFL great Damon Allen helped our annual dinner bring in over $30,000 – the most successful fundraiser to date;
- Dickie Crossman Memorial Foundation raised a record $10,000 from their annual golf tourney;
- Canadian Tire Jumpstart Foundation donated over $23,000 in grants throughout the year;
- 145 children enjoyed summer camp at Rockwood Park, in partnership with the Lily Lake Pond Hockey Tournament; and
- P.R.O. Kids partnered with the Saint John Multicultural and Newcomers Resource Centre to introduce thirty children to Canadian recreation.
In 2010, P.R.O. Kids hopes to place more than 800 children in recreational opportunities.