Christmas Fire Safety Tips


To ensure a Merry Christmas and fire safe Holiday Season for everyone, the Saint John Fire Department suggests the following fire safety guidelines be observed:

The Kitchen

Grease and fat fires are a leading cause of home fires in Canada, so be extra careful when doing this kind of cooking.  Here's what to do if grease in a pot or pan catches fire:

The Christmas Tree

Get a freshly cut tree.  It will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard.  Try to pick a tree with a strong green colour and noticeable fragrance.
Always test for freshness before buying. A tree with high moisture content is safer. Very few needles should fall when the butt of the tree is tapped on the ground; needles should bend, not break; and the stump should be sticky with resin.
Place the tree in a stand that will hold 2 to 3 litres of water and top it up daily. Make sure it is always immersed in water: If water drops below the trunk, the stem may reseal itself, requiring a fresh cut. Use a tree stand that has widespread legs for better balance.
Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. It should not block doors.
Never use lighted candles on the tree.

Remove the tree within 10 to 14 days. After that amount of time in a heated building, even the freshest tree can start to dry out.




The Fireplace

Electrical Outlets

Gift Suggestions

Last but not least ... make sure your smoke alarms work. You should have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home.

Resources IconResources
Office of the Fire Marshal

Fire Prevention Service

Fire Prevention
(506) 658-2962
45 Leinster Street

Service Request Form

Service Request Form
indicates a required field
eg: 15 Market Square OR corner of Union and Germain
(Click browse to find the photo on your hard drive. Acceptable photo formats are limited to jpeg, jpg, gif, or png.)

©2017 City of Saint John   Privacy | Disclaimer | Language