> Home > City Hall > Public Safety Services > Police > About > How Do I ...?

How Do I ...?

1. Obtain a Criminal Record Check?

Please see the instructions contained in the following link to find out how to obtain a Criminal Record Check.

2. Obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening?

Please see the instructions contained in the following link to find out how to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening.

3. Make a report to the police?

If you have an emergency, or are reporting a crime that is happening right now, CALL 9-1-1 immediately!

If you would like to report a crime that is not an emergency, please do one of the following:

Call the police non-emergency phone number, (506) 648-3333, and explain your situation to the dispatcher.  You can request to have an officer call you back to take the report by phone, or attend your location to speak with you in person.

Attend the Police Station and request to speak with an officer directly.

Whenever you are reporting a crime to the police, please be prepared to provide as much information as possible, including:

  • Your name, address, birthdate, home, work, and cell phone numbers.
  • The name, birthdate and contact information of anyone else involved in the incident
  • Physical description of suspects (e.g., height, weight, hair and eye color, clothing description)
  • Description of property that was stolen or damaged

If you are a witness to or victim of a crime, it is important to report it to the police.  You may be unsure about whether to report an incident because you think it is too minor, or the police are too busy, or perhaps you are afraid or intimidated.  The Saint John Police Force takes all incidents reported to them seriously and will do their best to resolve the matter.  Any information you provide about an incident may help the police solve that or other crimes.  Remember, by reporting criminal activity to the police, you are helping make your community a safer place to live, work, and play.

4. Receive a copy of a police report?

Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RTIPPA)

New Brunswick's Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the “Act”) allows you access to information held by the Saint John Police Force.  You have the right to request any record in the custody or control of the Saint John Police Force.  This includes records containing your personal information.

Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act 

Regulation 2010-111

Make a Right to Information request

A Right to Information (RTI) request can be submitted to the Saint John Police Force by completing the below Request For Information form.  

The Act requires the Saint John Police Force to respond to your RTI request within 30 days of receiving it.  If your request is complex, we may extend this time within what the Act allows, but will inform you of this within the 30 days.

The Act allows us to withhold information if the release would be an invasion of privacy or cause harm by one of the means listed in the Act.  Only in exceptional situations can you get access to someone else’s personal information.

SJPF Right to Information Request Form - RTIPPA

5. File a complaint?

The Professional Standards Section is responsible for receiving, investigating and acting upon complaints filed by any person about the conduct of police officers or any policy or procedure of the Saint John Police Force.

The Saint John Police Force takes community concerns seriously.  We encourage open communication and believe the public is entitled to efficient, fair, and impartial service.  

Please refer to the following link for details on the complaints process and the contact information for the Professional Standards Unit.

6. Determine the outcome of a court case?

Please contact the Saint John Police Force Court Unit at (506)648-3205 for inquiries relating to Adult Court, or (506)648-3294 for YouthCourt.

7. Pay a Ticket?

• Parking Ticket or Meter By-Law Ticket – The Saint John Parking Commission has four easy ways you can pay your ticket.  Please click on the following link to find out how to pay your parking ticket.

• Tickets issued under the Provincial Offences and Procedures Act (POPA) of New Brunswick (e,g., tickets issued for Liquor, ATV or Motor Vehicle infractions such as speeding, registration, or seatbelt violations) may be paid at:  www.snb.ca.

Please note that you will need to have a copy of your POPA ticket when you make your payment, as you will be required to provide several pieces of information located on the original ticket, such as the ticket number, officer number and exact amount of the payment due.  If you do not have a copy of your ticket, you can obtain one at the Finance Office, 9th Floor, City Hall.

8. Retrieve property that was seized by police?/Report a lost item?/Retrieve a found item?

Hours of operation:  Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Closed between 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm.

Picture ID must be presented when retrieving property from the Property Control Section.  Examples of acceptable identification include:
• Photo driver’s license;
• Passport; or
• Photo ID from Service NB

Lost and Found

• If reporting an item lost, contact (506) 648-3333 to speak with a Police Officer or visit lobby reception desk at ONE Peel Plaza.

• If you have been contacted by a Police Officer that the item has been found, please call (506) 648-3235 to schedule an appointment to retrieve your property.  Picture ID must be presented when retrieving the item. 

• If the item is a bicycle, contact Lost and Found at (506) 648-3235 prior to visiting so that the item can be located and an appointment made to retrieve it.  Proper picture ID will be required.

Retrieval of Seized Items

Seized items are stored in Property Control, at ONE Peel Plaza, for a period of no less than 30 days from the last sentence date.  After the 30 days, prior to visiting Property Control, call (506) 648-3235 to make certain items can be released and to make an appointment to retrieve the items.  Remember to bring Picture ID.  No items will be released without property ID.

Seized money will be returned to the owner in the form of a cheque, no cash.   This process will take at least 2 weeks from time of release.  The only exception will be if the dollar figure is less than $100.  Property picture ID will be required.

Property Control
ONE Peel Plaza
Saint John, NB
E2L 0E1
(506) 648-3235 (voicemail)

Please call 911 for Emergencies or 648-3333 for non-emergency immediate assistance.

Police Administration

Police Administration
(506) 648-3200
1 Peel Plaza
Saint John, NB E2L 0E1