Emergency Response

Frequently Asked Questions

Who has access to my child's/loved one’s profile?

Saint John Police personnel will have access to the information when responding to an emergency situation that involves your child or loved one. There are strict regulations with respect to accessing and sharing the information. 

If I don't live in the greater Saint John area can I still registry with the autism registry?

If you do not live in the greater Saint John area but your child/loved one comes to the area on a regular basis (for school, daycare, etc.) then you should register.  If the registrant is not in the greater Saint John area regularly, there would be almost no benefit to registering. Only Saint John and Rothesay policing services will have access to the registry, so if you are reporting an incident in another area it will be quicker and safer to go through their process for taking reports.

If I live in the Kennebecasis Valley should I register?

Yes.  The Kennebecasis Regional Police Force has partnered with the Saint John Police Force in developing the autism registry.  The Kennebecasis Regional Police Force will have access to information in autism registry in the case of an emergency. 

As soon as I send in the registration, will the information be immediately available if a police response is required?

Yes.  As soon as you enter the information into the autism registry it will be immediately available to police officers in the case of an emergency. 
What do I need to do in the case of an emergency situation if my loved one is registered?

It is preferable that you let the police know that the individual is already registered.  In doing so, the officers involved can quickly access the information in the registry which will help them in their response to the situation. 

I  am having difficulty with the online registration form.  When I try to submit the form, I receive errors and am unable to proceed.  

Please Note: The Sign up option for “My Saint John” is currently unavailable.  If you wish to sign up for the Autism Registry, please contact Police Administration at (506)648-3200, or by email at, or by attending ONE Peel Plaza, Saint John, NB.

If you receive errors when trying to submit your registration form, it could be because you forgot to fill in a piece of required information or the information was entered incorrectly.  All of the fields marked with a red asterisk need to be filled in for your registration to be processed.  For certain form fields that require specific formatting, a valid format is shown beneath the form field, as an example.   For instance, beneath the “Postal Code” field, it instructs you that the valid format is A1B2C3. 

After you fill in all of the required fields and enter your information in the valid format shown, the error messages will disappear and your form will be submitted.  A message will follow indicating that your submission was successful.  If you have any further questions or concerns, you may contact us at

Is an annual update required?
No.  Although annual updates are not required they are strongly recommended.  It is recommended that you renew the registration during the month of the registrant’s birthday. 

Can I update my profile more than once a year if there are changes?   Yes.  However, only information that has a significant impact on policing response will be necessary to change.  Some examples include a change in address, school, or emergency contact. 

How do I update the information in the registry?

You can change or update information in the registry at anytime.  When you first enter information into the registry you will be given a user name and password.  By entering this user name and password into the secure website you will be given access to your registrant’s information.  Once you are on this site you can add, change or remove any information. 

You can also contact the Saint John Police Force at 648-3200 to speak with somebody about updating or changing any information in the registry. 

How can I delete a registrant from the Autism Registry?

You can delete a registrant from the autism registry at anytime with no questions being asked.  To delete somebody from the registry you can log into the registry using your assigned username and password (given to you at the time of registration).  Once you are on the secure website you can remove any or all of the registrant’s information.

You can also contact the Saint John Police Force at 648-3200 to speak with somebody about removing the registrant from the registry. 

How will this registry help if my child/loved one goes missing?

When someone goes missing information from the registry, such as physical appearance, likely places where he/she would go, triggers, stimulants, and de-escalation techniques will be sent to every police officer who is directly involved in responding to the emergency situation. 

What guarantees do we have that the interaction between our child/loved one  and the police will be positive once he/she is registered?

There is no guarantee with this registry of a positive outcome. What the registry allows is the ability for police officers to have the necessary information sooner when responding to an emergency.

What is important to stress is that simply having a person registered with the registry is not going to change police responses in every instance involving an individual with an autism spectrum disorder.  Police will act according to procedure depending on circumstances. An individual with an autism spectrum disorder can still be arrested.  In that case, being registered will assist police in contacting the correct people.

When I completed the autism registry I was asked to include a picture. Why am I being asked to provide a picture?

A picture may assist police officers in identifying or locating a missing individual.  Pictures are secure and will not be released to the media without the permission of a parent or next of kin and only under extreme circumstances, such as a missing person. 

The Saint John Police Force acknowledges Autism Speaks Canada for their funding to support this project in 2012.